for larger view
of Houses &
About the Information
On These Pages
(On Permit Date):
P. & Mildred P. Kendrick
was the first of three built along the Washington Street edge of
the Blake estate during the development of Blake Park. (Two other
Washington Street houses were added in the 1950s.) The house, raised
above the level of the street, was set behind the stone wall that
had marked the estate's boundary on this side since at least the
photos below show the site in 1916 (left) and in 2005. In the center
of the older photo (taken from the P.H. Park Trust brochure) is
the beginning of the main roadway of the Blake estate, leading in
from Washington Street and winding its way up toward the Blake house.
The same roadway, straightened out at its start, is Weybridge Road
in the new photo.
Street wall can be seen flanking the entranceway in both photographs.
454 Washington Street is the house at the left behind the tall tree
in the 2005 photo. Missing from the newer photo are the vine-covered
structures marking the entrance to the estate in the 1916 photo.
These are not bushes, but pieces of an ornamental stone and iron
gateway. The gateway is seen in more detail in the two photos below.
at left is a closer view of the gate from the same 1916 photo above.
The right photo, taken in winter about 20 years earlier, shows the
left-hand section of the gate, without the vines. An iron gate is
just visible between the tall block at the end of the wall and the
two ornamental posts to its right. The tall block is gone today,
but the ornamental posts, whose shape can be more clearly seen here,
were apparently saved and have been incorporated into the entrance
to 454 Washington. The 2005 photo below shows the posts in their
present location, flanking stone steps cut through the wall for
the entrance to the house.
and longtime residents of 454 Washington Street were Thomas and
Mildred (Prouse) Kendrick and their family. Thomas Paul Kendrick
(1896-1970) was a physician whose parents had come to the U.S. from
Northern Ireland. Kendrick was active in civic affairs. He was a
member of the Brookline School Committee from 1928 until his death
and was its chair from 1952 to 1961 and from 1968 to 1970. He also
served on the town's Recreation Commission and was Norfolk County
Medical Examiner in the 1950s.
his wife Mildred (1901-1974) had a daughter and two sons. The 1930
U.S. Census showed the residents as: Thomas P. Kendrick, 33, physician;
Mildred P. Kendrick, 22, born Vermont; Mildred Kendrick, 3; Thomas
Kendrick, 2; and Francis Kendrick, 1. A member of the Kendrick family
who is doing some genealogical work has indicated that the census
is in error on the children's names: they were Janice Ann, Thomas
P Jr., and John Roger Kendrick which is also how the names are listed
in Thomas Kendrick Sr.'s obituary in the Brookline Citizen
owned this house until Mildred's death in 1974.