Blake Park: Brookline, Massachusetts
History of a Neighborhood, 1916-2005

The Houses and People of Blake Park


Click image for larger view

Directory of Houses &
About the Information
On These Pages

_____________________

Questions, Comments?
E-mail kliss@muddyriver.us

66 Stanton Road

Year Built:
Permit Date:
1925
10/7/1925
Architect:
Alexander D. Boyle
Builder:
Earl Butterfield (E.S. Butterfield Co.)
Cost to Build:
$14,000
Owner
(On Permit Date):
Arthur Russell, Boston
First Residents:
Mary D. & Philip S. Davis

This house was one of three on Stanton Road built by Earl Butterfield. (He also built 47 Greenough Street on the corner of Stanton.) These were the first houses built on Stanton (formerly known as Cypress Place) after it was extended across Greenough Street into the former Blake estate.

66 Stanton was home for nearly 50 years to the family of Mary and Philip Davis. Philip Davis (born c1872) was a stock broker. He and his wife Mary (born c1877) had two daughters (and possibly other children) who were grown by the time the family moved to Stanton Road.

The 1930 U.S. Census listed the residents as: Phillip S. Davis, 58, president, (can't read name of company); and Mary G. Davis, 52. The house was valued at $18,000.

The Davis family was listed at this address in the Street List from 1927 until the early 1970s.